Play the games, create the levels

Topic, BL Game Ideas

Checkout our iPhone & iPad games!

You must register or log in to post a message.

manufan 8 years ago
  Generally speaking, Actionscript is more powerful in terms of its usage on the web, but standalone, Java usually wins. Ofc, Flash Player is a widely available resource, just like the JRE, so there is a huge competition between the two.
geckojsc 8 years ago
  I actually disagree in some ways manufan, ActionScript is a more powerful language if you're talking about language features (dynamic typing, first class functions / closures). Java recently added lambda functions which are similar but don't capture the scope of their environment.

However you could say that Java's runtime / standard libraries are more powerful because you have unrestricted access to raw files and networking and stuff.

But yeah, it's easy to learn one if you know the other. :)
kalina200 8 years ago
  wow this topic is 6 yrs old
gundu 8 years ago
  I should probably start working on something too then.

After all, I learned so much about programming the last few years in college: C, C#, Java, AS3, etc. Making my own game should be pretty interesting.
manufan 8 years ago
  Java is actually a more powerful language than Actionscript, so it is a great place to start like Simon said.

It is also an OOP language - Object Orientated Programming Language. This is similar to Actionscript, so it shouldn't be too hard switching, especially from a higher level language.
SimonM 8 years ago
  You're a bit lucky, java and actionscript are very similar, and actionscript is easier with the graphics. If you want, I can give you some help.
demonicyoshi 8 years ago
  I'm working on my game (a "platformer" type game).
However I only learned to program in java, so I'm programming it in java.
This may be an issue since I'll need to reprogram it in flash to put it on BL.
Treazer 8 years ago
  I really like puzzle games, but I also really like platformers and such. And we actually only have 3 real puzzle games, 4 if you consider CoBaCoLi to be one, too.
Also, we're getting a new platformer soon. :)

edit: The play style would be moving blocks like in Puzzle It or Blockoban.
AK 8 years ago
  I feel that we have too many puzzle games. Perhaps a game with a new category is in order. The brick breaker game Manufan is coming out with is a great new addition to BL, and I feel more strategy games should be added as well.

But if we did want a game with colors, ColorMe! would be a good name.
Treazer 8 years ago
  So the post was too long.^^

Perhaps also lights which will add/subtract colors when being touched by them, so you have to achieve the correct color that way.

You would have to know the basics of the color theory, of course. But that's what a puzzle game is for. :)

edit: Which would make the game even more complex is different values for the color (only 50% of the standard full value as another option, though). You could make purple by adding 50% red to 100% blue (and no green). Or orange by adding 50% green to 100% red (and no blue).
Treazer 8 years ago
  Spectrum (this is actually exact the same title of a scrapped game by Simon, but that's the best title I could find)

Spectrum is a puzzle game with a focus on color. It's a grid-based puzzle game, similar to Blockoban and Puzzle It, but the concept is still quite different.

The goal of the game is to light up all lights, but in the correct color. This works by directing colored rays coming out of their source block to the corresponding lights.
Then again, you direct the rays with several different blocks; mirrors, portals and some more.

Another core feature is combining colors. You can mix color rays in both an additive and a subtractive way. Therefore, you have the standard colors red, blue, green, yellow, magenta, cyan, white and black. Adding and subtracting colors works with a special blocks in which the rays go. Then, this block puts out another ray of the mixed color.

Example: You've got a magenta light and red and blue rays. Using the additive way, you can achieve a magenta ray to light the light with.

The additive color mixer block is black, because adding color to white results in white. Thus, you would need a black mixer block in the example, but there's another way to achieve a magenta ray, i.e. with a white/subtractive mixer block.
In that case, you would have to direct a green ray into the mixer block to subtract green from white and get magenta.

At the maximum, you can mix three colors, because a block has four sides; three inputs, one output.

Adding or subtracting colors will sometimes not change the color. For example if you add red to magenta, it will stay magenta, because magenta is already red and blue added. It would be the same when you try to subtract blue from yellow, because yellow is red and green and doesn't contain blue.

It would be cool to have force fields (like in Puzzle It) blocking the color.

I'm sure there are many other things you could add to the game, these were only the basic ideas.
totallyepicdude321 9 years ago
  hey, how about a game that uses the keyboard for more than just moving, like for entering passwords and stuff...
CubixIII 9 years ago
  @TIMU Oh yeah, I played that game before!

@Treazer ... oh my god I HAD AN IDEA FOR THAT! A block game where you have to separate the blocks, and many physics controls would be added, as well as wedges, poles and axles, and bolted blocks.

And did you know I have tons of these "game ideas??"

What do you use to make music, Gecko?

@chrishappy This is a great idea! :DDD
manufan 10 years ago
  @Treazer: I think he means thread.

@chrishappy: That seems a good idea! Basically your character is stuck in a cube and you have to make it out?

If that's it then I'm not sure how the character would be controlled and the game would only account for lots of levels if there are many ways to get out (such as matching up bricks to make the character fall)...
Treazer 10 years ago
  This is a pretty vague description and also, what group?
chrishappy 10 years ago
  This whole group is outdated but my idea is where you are a person and you need to make it out, basicly a puzzle/brain game. The level editer will be where you can make puzzles to get though, such as a mix with rolling tutle and path 4 mouse.
Treazer 10 years ago
  3D block puzzle game would be cool.
You can change the perspective and zoom in/out (would be needed for better control).

Would require much experience though.
Treazer 10 years ago
  Yeah, there's also a similar game, called...

oh god, I forgot the name, can't find it anymore. ._.

edit: Found it! Onomastica
ThisIsMyUsername 10 years ago

Words and Physics
A game that combines word and physics, I really love it.
In BL, the scores can be time(seconds) an Copy Paste should be banned.
bbdest 10 years ago
  Switch
A BB2-esque game, the gravity and matching, but instead of moving blocks around, the pieces are switched, like Bejeweled. However, different blocks can, and will have different orientation, so some blocks will fall up, and to the sides, instead of just down. This is all I have for the idea so far.
ThisIsMyUsername 10 years ago
  Good Idea.

really good.

so good that i good my goat cuz mushrooms ate fish
Treazer 10 years ago
  Yeah, it definitely does! :)
Btw, I just restored my 10 minutes old message, I wasn't done, but now I am :)
manufan 10 years ago
  @Treazer: Colourblind does look like an interesting concept! :)
Treazer 10 years ago
  EleMental

Note: You have to use the mouse and the arrow keys.

You're a protagonist lost in a beautiful and atmospheric world.
You wake up.
At the moment you have no elements available, so you have to use your mental abilities to manipulate the world around you. (mouse for doing actions, arrow keys for moving). (creator can also change this in the editor, you don't have to start without elements)
You can gain the 4 elements (fire, water, earth, air) and you need them to mix the elements (e.g. water + earth = mud, air + water = steam, air + fire = smoke).
You know the game Doodle God?
For the mixing of elements you need special things.
So you have to manipulate the world with all the elements you've got to get to the finish.
You got only limited amounts of your elements, to get them you have to find sources placed in the world or use elements to get them (e.g. make a fire and collect the steam).
The creator of the level can also give you unlimited amounts of elements of course.
The editor also can make things impossible to collect if it's not from a source he made in the editor or he can even set it that you won't be able to collect an element.

Examples:
There's a crate you can't reach, use air to let it fall down. This could affect other things which shouldn't happen, so place earth to make a wall so the other thing doesn't get affected by the wind you made with air.

Fire is blocking your way, use water to slack it or use a small amount of air to make it bigger (fire will be slacked if you use too much air).
Treazer 10 years ago
  Colourblind is a cool game! Something like that would be really fitting for Bonuslevel.
Treazer 10 years ago
  Night Lights on jayisgames.

Simple concept, well executed.
geckojsc 10 years ago
  Knytt Stories and Knytt Underground are kind of different play and visual styles, but what Treazer means is a game where each room fits on a single screen, and when you leave the screen, you switch to the next 'room'. i.e. there's no camera following the player around. Both of those games use this system, but Obscurity doesn't.

Also, check out Chevy's Game Design Tips. ;)

[edit]
Hey look. xD
http://videogameartstyles.tumblr.com/post/32799991978
gameinsky 10 years ago
  obscurity was BASED on knytt stories...
Treazer 10 years ago
  Well, Obscurity hasn't got rooms. Wait... it has got rooms, but not the rooms I mean if you understand what I mean ( go out of the screen and you change the room ).
Obscurity is similar to Knytt Underground, but it has got a different style.
Curiosity is similar to Obscurity, but still different, it's hard to explain, but I think you know what I mean.

Flash game development

First post of the topic

geckojsc 15 years ago
  Right, I have some good ideas for BL games, and I'm writing them down here so I remember them and people can comment on them.

So, there's my Music game that I started, but the progress on that has been paused until I finish Path 4 Mouse.

And also, I have an idea for a creature battling game, a bit like the arena mode in Spore Origins. You get your own creature, and to get parts and stuff for your creature you must beat other creatures and earn points.
Every level is a battle against a different creature.
In the editor you can make creatures as levels, so that others may battle against them.
This game will require lots and lots of knowledge, but I know from looking at the documentation, that the BL API is capable of something like this.
Our free flash games   Games for your site   Games for your iPhone   Contact   Twitter @jpsarda & @bonuslevelorg